Those little smiley faces and symbols that we send to our friends and families via our mobile phones to convey our emotions is a widespread practice that has been around for a very long time. There are many different Emoji’s that we use in social media channels, however where do they originate from and how long have they been around? Here are 10 interesting facts about the Emoji.
- Emoji are now integral in the digital vocabularies of not only individuals, but also by companies.
- The Emoji originated in Japan, created by Shigetaka Kurita who worked for the mobile communication company DoCoMo.
- Emoji were originally created to be used as a means of communication through pictures to save on data usage.
- Apple noticed the potential in Emoji and launched the first Emoji Keyboard in 2010.
- Emoji became standardised by Unicode which allowed images to be recognised on all devices.
- Emoji faces are far more detailed and represent a wider range of emotions more so than Emoticons.
- In 2015, Emoji was named the fastest growing language as well as named the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year.
- Coca-Cola was one of the first companies to use Emoji as an effective marketing tool.
- Coca-Cola were also one of the first corporate giants to launch an emoji domain name.
- Coca-Cola used a branded Emoji to set a new world record for the “Worlds Largest Cheers”
So there we have it, share with your family and friends our 10 interesting facts on the Emoji J LJ